Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal
A coxswain navigates and steers a small commercial vessel under 12 metres in length, operating within the limits of sheltered and inshore waters, that is, in waters within 15 nautical miles off the coast. As master of a small fishing or trading vessel, they are responsible for supervising other crew and passengers. They are also expected to lead a crew and make decisions under pressure, such as taking appropriate actions in an emergency. Other tasks for a coxswain include maintaining the operations of engines (less than 500 Kw), updating vessel logbooks, assisting in mooring and unmooring vessels, and keeping watch. Commercial vessels under the command of a coxswain can include small passenger vessels, charter vessels, water taxis, tourist craft, and fishing vessels.
MAR20321 – Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)MAR20321 - Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
Training Calendar and Enrolment Form
AMSA Links for Certificate of Competency Application
- Certificate of Competency Application (AMSA 426)
- Eyesight Test Certificate (AMSA 542)
- Record of Sea Service (AMSA 771)
- Medical Certificate is compulsory for AMSA as of 1 January 2023.
- AMSA Sea Service and Task Books Information
- AMSA detailed information is available here.